Your roof protects everything inside your home. A problem with your roof quickly leads to a problem with your insulation, sheetrock, paint, electrical, flooring, etc. Most Louisville, KY homeowners postpone roof repairs or replacements as long as they can because of the cost and disruption involved. However, procrastinating, waiting, and ignoring small problems only create bigger problems later.
Abrams Roofing works with Louisville, KY homeowners to make sure your roof is protected through wind, rain, and hail. Whether you need a checkup, simple repair, or full replacement, we help each customer to decide what is the best choice for their home, family, and finances.
Repair vs. Replace
Most roof repairs are similar in nature (missing shingles, leaking pipe flashings, chimney flashing, ice dams), and they are due to the same types of problems (age, rain, hail, wind, ice). The national average roof repair cost is less than $1000, while a replacement can easily cost 5-10x that amount. But when is a repair a simple DIY job, and when is it time to hire a pro?
The First Step: Inspect
A thorough inspection is always the best place to start. We recommend checking on your roof a few times a year, especially after strong storms.
Doing this is very simple, all you need is a pair of binoculars. Inspect your roof thoroughly looking for any of the following:
- Streaking stains
- Curled or buckled shingles
- Shingles with missing granules
- Rusted flashings
- Water stains
- Moss or mold
This process can save you money on roof repairs simply by paying attention to what is going on. If you see any of these issues, call a professional and allow them to inspect the issue closer. We will complete an inspection for free and give you a clear quote on your repair options. Keeping track of your roof on a regular basis is the best way to ensure that small repairs stay small.
Common Roofing Repairs in Louisville, KY
Some simple roof repair jobs are an easy shingle replacement or small patch job and it is completed in a day. With decades of experience in the industry, we’ve compiled our list of the most common repairs in Louisville, KY, and surrounding areas. If any of these symptoms sound familiar, give us a call for a free inspection.
- Leaks: If you have rain in your bedroom, you know you have a problem. Some leaks can happen during a storm while others may manifest themselves later. The trick is to fix them fast before it’s too late. Most homeowners will investigate leaks themselves and often cause more damage. As soon as you notice a leak – give us a call.
- Critters: When you see, hear, or smell something unusual in the rafters it can be unnerving for any homeowner. You might have birds, insects, or tiny animals getting into your rafters. This can cause quite a bit of damage and it’s best to have them taken care of immediately.
- Ponding: Standing water is never a good thing and can cause issues very quickly. If you notice any areas of your roof that tend to pond water, you definitely want a professional inspection.
- Trees: Overhanging tree limbs are an accident waiting to happen. This is a problem that can use the help of a contractor or an arborist. Resist the urge to bust out the chainsaw yourself until you’ve been able to talk to a professional to avoid further damage.
- Ventilation: Air vents in the roof are designed to let warm air leave and cool air is drawn in. If heat or moisture builds up in the attic, it can cause big issues. The first thing you’ll notice is a spike in your energy bills. Over time, this moisture can only increase your bills and damage the rafters, sheathing, and shingles.
- Shrinkage: If your shingles are blistering, splitting, or ridging, the material beneath them might be shrinking, causing big problems in the materials above them.
- Bad installation: Unfortunately, this one is hard to notice until it’s too late. Before you purchase a home, have the roof inspected, and be sure the work was done by a reputable roofing contractor to ensure you have a solid installation history.
- Poor maintenance: Simple things like incorrectly cleaning out the gutters, blindly removing tree limbs, or neglect can cause big problems when a storm hits.
- Hail: If you’ve had a hail storm recently, it’s worth calling for an inspection. You may not see any immediate hail damage, but even small hail can cause tiny holes over time that can eventually destroy your roof.
Can I Repair My Roof By Myself?
When was the last time you actually got on your own roof? Unless you have the necessary experience and safety equipment, simply getting to the problem can be a risky move.
Even if you are able to get on top of the roof, you may do more damage to your roof (and possibly hurt yourself) if you have a particularly steep roof, or one with concerns like a roof to wall, dead valleys, dormers, or pitch changes.
When a homeowner thinks they know how to repair the roof, but then is quickly in over their head, it almost always causes more harm than good. We often see caulking or plastic roof cement used in metal roofs and using improper materials that make small problems much worse.
If you’re uncomfortable walking on your roof, carrying heavy items up and down a ladder, or you don’t have the right equipment, it’s probably always best to call a professional.