Your home and your roof stand up against many elements throughout the year in Louisville, KY. You constantly hear that you should keep your roof well maintained, but how do you do this?
At Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal, we’ve compiled a list of the tell-all signs of when and benefits as to why you need a roofing inspection. Outside of routine maintenance checkups, we’re uncovering the things to look for that will let you know when to call your nearest, local roofing professional.
Why Are Roofing Inspections in Louisville Important?
Before we go telling you that you need to schedule your roofing inspection, it’s important to us to let you know why this matters so much. Protecting your roof IS a big deal, because a quality roof that is well maintained and cared for can last for years! It’s not easy to determine a roof’s actual condition just based on looks alone, especially if you’re looking at it from the ground. You really need an expert to take a look at the roof up close and personal to check for five main areas:
- Leak Assessment: If you notice a leak, you need to schedule a roofing inspection ASAP. This is the main trigger for most roof inspections. However, when you have a leak after a strong rain, chances are you have a much more serious problem that has been developing over time. Experienced roof inspectors can conduct a full leak investigation to stop further unseen deterioration.
- Storm Damage: If Mother Nature has whipped through your neighborhood lately in a fit of rage, it’s a good idea to have your roof inspected. High winds, hail, and other weather actions that may cause water infiltration and lead to needed roof repairs.
- Weathering and Aging: Age and weather play a huge role in the health of your roof. Old age or a strong rain or snow storm can cause tiny openings in the roof’s surface that you wouldn’t notice without a trained eye. These tiny openings on the roof surface that lead to water infiltration and big leaks. However, regular roof inspections help homeowners to find these defects and fix them easily before any further damage is caused.
- Proper Drainage: Drainage is key to a healthy roof, regular roof cleaning and inspection can help remove objects like leaves, trash, debris from clogging drains and ensure proper drainage.
- Home Maintenance Damage: Roof damage can arise from a perfectly healthy roof. Sometimes things like hanging Christmas lights, technicians working on your air conditioners, painting crews climbing around, or chimney cleaners can do small things to tweak the stable condition of your roofing system or cause damage you’re unaware of. A roofing inspection can help point out and check for any unforeseen damage too.
Common Problems that Call for a Roofing Inspection
To the untrained eye, a roofing inspection may seem unnecessary, but more often than not, there are problems lingering that you can’t see. Most of these common problems can be remedied before they cause serious damage, especially with the help of a local roofing professional.
Missing or Broken Shingles: Most residential roofs in the United States, even right here in Louisville, use asphalt shingles. As they age, they get brittle and break. Sometimes wind or hail can tear them apart. Even whole sections can just be blown off with the right wind at the right time. This is one of the most common findings with roof inspections. Shingles can be repaired easily, but if you don’t know they are missing, it leads to damage on the roof deck underneath, which is a much larger issue.
Ventilation: A thorough roof inspection will also ensure that all attic ventilation is working properly and that you have enough ventilation to prevent ice damming in the winter.
Plants or Moss Growth: While an unsightly growth on your roof might not look very nice, it’s also harming your home. Any type of plant, moss, or mildew on the roof is a sign of moisture. These troublemakers trap water, hinder runoff, and create a vicious cycle that can destroy your roof.
Leaks or Cracks: Sometimes you may have a leak or crack in your roof without even knowing it. Leaks that go undetected or unrepaired are catastrophes waiting to happen.
Poor Installation: Even if your roof is fairly new, an inspection can give you peace of mind that the roof was installed properly. When a new roof is installed directly over an old one, it can create premature problems you often won’t notice until it’s too late.
Shingles Curling or Buckling: Shingles have an aging process that cannot be ignored. As your shingles get old, they can begin to curl or buckle. This makes your roof more vulnerable to the elements. A roofing inspection can notice these problems before they cause real damage.
Bald or Shedding Shingles: Part of a roof inspection is to check the gutters for any shingle granules. When your shingles start to shed, this is one of the first signs of shingle damage. Typically, missing granules leads to damaged shingles in the future.
Roof Sagging or Drooping: Sure it may look a little off from the ground, but you may be surprised how clear structural problems become through a roof inspection. If you have any concerns about a drooping or sagging roof, a professional roof inspection should be a priority.
Environmental Causes: Call in a Professional
When Louisville weather becomes a burden, your roof must have the strength to stand up to the elements. When Mother Nature is unkind to your home, skip all the DIY trouble and count on a professional roofing contractor. With Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal, we offer free roofing inspections and are here when environmental factors cause harm to your home.
Environmental Factors to Consider in Louisville:
- Weather: All roofs are affected by weather, but Louisville’s weather can be especially harmful. Hot southern summers and an increase of humidity can cause serious damage to roofing materials. In the winter, when freezing rain turns into ice buildup on our roofs, it’s time to make sure you are protected.
- Ice Damming: Ice damming is when beautiful icicles turn into a sign of a huge problem. When the attic is hot and the outside is frigid, you end up with melting snow causing an ice dam near the gutter. This causes a considerable amount of water damage when the ice starts to melt.
- Storm Damage: Louisville is no stranger to strong storms. Hail, wind, rain, and lightning are all major factors that contribute to significant roof damage during Louisville storms.
Inspections with a Louisville Professional
We understand you have plenty of choices when it comes to roofing contractors in Louisville, but Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal should be the first name you call! We offer free roofing inspections by a licensed and trained crew, to homeowners just like you in and around the Louisville Metro area. When it comes to your roof, out of sight out of mind means serious long-term consequences. Prioritizing regular roofing inspections can prevent expensive future costs. Contact us today to schedule your FREE roof inspection!