Storm season in Louisville, KY arrives in early spring and hangs around all summer long. It’s no secret that the Bluegrass region is familiar with hail and strong winds from time to time. When skies turn dark and storms roll through, make sure your roof is prepared to stand up against the possibility of wind damage.
Wind damage can occur in big and small ways and bring havoc to your home and roofing system.
In fact, thunderstorms account for half of all severe damage in the lower 48 states.
With Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal on your side, you’re in good hands. We offer free inspections and roofing repair services if you experience storm or wind damage. Just contact us today to schedule service.
How to Spot Damage from Wind
When high winds hit Louisville, they do not hit your roof evenly across the surface. The corners, the edges of the roof, and the ridgeline are especially susceptible to damage from high winds.
Your roof can suffer from wind damage in all kinds of ways. Some may be obvious, and some may be, well, not so obvious. So how exactly do you spot wind damage?
Potential Signs of Wind Damage May Include:
- Missing Shingles: This is one of the most common signs that frequently happens from strong winds, rains, or falling tree branches.
- Curling Shingles: This happens at stress points in your roof. Stress points include the edges, corners, near the chimney, and ridge. If you notice curling shingles as a result of wind damage from a strong storm, there’s a good chance there’s also water getting into your roof.
- Leaks: If there’s water coming into your house, it’s time to look for a leak and call a roofer immediately.
- Missing or Split Chimney Flashings: The flashings around the chimney are a high-stress point and these are easily lifted when they are hit at the right angle during strong winds.
- Gutter Problems: Sometimes the gutter can get overloaded with granules from your shingles and can get clogged, or even broken off as a result of wind damage.
- Clogged Drains and Downspouts: This can happen during strong Louisville storms where debris gets clogged in your drains and downspouts causing serious backup problems.
- Branches/ Other Debris on Roof: If the impact of falling branches and debris doesn’t cause damage, leaving them there will. It’s important to get your roof cleared as soon as possible.
- Tree Damage: Trees that fall, crack, or split during high winds are a major cause of roof damage. If you have nearby tree damage, it’s time to get your roof taken care of as well.
- Wind Lift: This is a common sign of wind damage that is often overlooked. When this happens, parts of your roof are lifted as a result.
Wind damage in Louisville, KY is a serious problem if not taken care of quickly. Are you ready for those summer storms? Protect your home with a free roof inspection from the pros at Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal today.
What is Wind Lift?
As we said, wind damage, in some forms, is more obvious to spot than others. One common way wind damage affects homeowners in Louisville, KY is through wind lift. This is also sometimes referred to as wind uplift.
Simply put, wind lift occurs when a strong wind blows across the top of your roof and lifts up all or part of the roof with it as it blows. As the wind blows, it affects each part of the roof differently.
The wind itself isn’t necessarily a problem until it starts to move materials, which can include things such as the roof membrane itself, or your shingles.
Certain areas of the roof, like the perimeter, will be subject to higher pressures and can create a vacuum to lift up the materials underneath. Other areas might receive negative pressure, like a suction, while others can get more pushing and pulling from the wind.
Anywhere on your roof that has materials that are even just a little bit loose, the suction, pressure, and pulling from the wind raise it up, get below the surface, and lift it up.
Even when the roof looks intact from the ground, those high Louisville winds coming over the roof can lift the shingles up and loosen the nails that are holding them down. Over time, this will cause big problems.
Wind damage is a likely threat to Louisville homeowners. Always be safe, rather than sorry, and call in a professional any time you believe your roof has been damaged as a result of strong storms and high winds.
How Does Wind Lift Create Damage?
Wind damage can occur by wind lift by four different physical conditions. Each of these affects the roof in different ways and sometimes, you may even have two or more conditions at the same time during a storm in Louisville, KY.
- Laminar Flow: This is when you have more air flowing close to the surface of the roof. That air tries to maintain contact with the roof’s surface, and as the roof bends and curves, the air separates from the roof and creates a vacuum.
- Increased Air Speed: Wind speed on the roof can be more than twice as fast as the actual air speed. This increases the possibility of wind lift damage.
- Positive Pressure: This is the force the wind brings when it pushes against the shingles. When you have even a small amount of lift, it increases the pressure build-up.
- Inflation: If the wind is able to enter the space between your underlayment and roof covering, this space becomes inflated, and can cause damage from the inside out.
So now that you understand exactly how wind damage can occur, with our help, it’s time to learn about what to do and tips to take if your roof is suffering from wind damage.
What to Do If Wind Damages Your Roof
When storms blow through Louisville, KY, it’s critical that you check your home for signs of wind damage as quickly as possible. You can start at home with the following steps:
In any situation, it’s always best to get a professional on the scene when it comes to wind damage and roof repairs. If you’re in need of a trusted expert, contact us at Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal in Louisville, KY today.
Roof Removal and Repair
Damage as a result of wind lift can result in partial or complete roof removal.
Partial, as it sounds, means that only a small section is pulled up by the wind. You will still need to call in a professional for these types of repairs or for a roof replacement, as these problems should not be ignored.
Complete roof removal means that you will need a brand new roof. Generally, complete removal only occurs in the midst of extremely heavy, long-lasting winds, and it can be devastating.
We at Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal can also help with roof replacement in Louisville, KY. Give us a call today if you’re in need.
We can also help you in filing an insurance claim, if that is the next step in the right direction, as a result of wind damage to your roof. Our trusted friends at Owens Corning got it right when it comes to wind damage and insurance. As a rule of thumb, here’s what the experts we trust have to say:
“If the winds that caused the shingle damage were above the manufacturer’s wind coverage, you’ll need to file an insurance claim. If they were not, contact the shingle manufacturer to file a claim.”
Working With Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal
Even the best DIY efforts are no match to Louisville wind damage. In the occurrence of wind damage from strong storms, be safe rather than sorry, and call in a local roofing expert to get you taken care of.
Abrams Roofing & Sheet Metal is here for all home and business owners in the Louisville Metro, as well as the surrounding areas. If you’re in need of roof repairs or looking to schedule a free inspection, just give us a call today to get started.